It's been awhile since I wrote, "On the Tale of Tidwell's back in August of 2015. You ask, "What have I been doing since?" I've been meeting new family. Since then I've conversed with the descendants of Sarah Tidwell-Rowell, and descendants of both Ocie and Susie Tidwell daughters of Jackson Tidwell. Sarah and Jackson are the siblings of Millard Tidwell my great grandfather. These two sisters Ocie and Susie Tidwell, daughters of Jackson Tidwell, married brothers George and Johnnie Jones!
Children of Andrew Jackson Tidwell and Evaline Faulkner
Sarah Tidwell's children with husband John R Rowell
- Osie Rowell born 1Aug 1889 married Milton Harris but died Osie Hughes in Los Angeles she had two children John M Harris, and Carsel Harris.
- Ina B. Rowell died 5 May 1936 possibly never married she was a school teacher.
- Garland Rowell born 21 Jan 1891 died Nov 1977 married Daisy Leali. He worked as a Stave Mill Hand for the Hampton Stave Company in Fordyce, Arkansas, Gus Anderson, Supervisor.
- Miny Rowell born 25 Jul 1895 died 2 Jan 1992 possibly never married.
- Eliga "Elgy" Rowell born 4 July 1898 worked as a Cooper in a barrel factory in Houston Texas and died in Memphis Tennessee in October 1978.
- Millard Rowell born 1903 death unknown.
William Franklin Tidwell and Pinky Nelson
The next son was William Tidwell also called Franklin born about 1867, in the 1870 census, may have been the same Will Tidwell enumerated in the 1900 census of Columbia, Moss Arkansas who managed a boarding house and, who married Pinky Nelson. The jury is still out on this one. There was another Will Tidwell who married Lula Williams, whom I find suspect as well, who lived in Columbia, Arkansas, only forty-three miles East of Bradley Arkansas, hoping DNA will link me to Will's descendants.
Julia Tidwell, divorcee?
Julia Tidwell was born about 1869 according to the 1870 census. In the 1900 and 1910 census a Julia Tidwell was enumerated as divorced. Is this the same Julia Tidwell? Did she discard her marry name? Each succeeding census year that this divorced Julia Tidwell was enumerated her approximate age is younger than the one prior, so I can't be certain if this Julia Tidwell, a single divorced woman recorded in the 1900 and 1910 census of Fordyce, Arkansas who is the sole wage earner, whose occupation is Cook, is the same daughter of Andrew J. Tidwell born 1844. More evidence is required here, as birth years are merely estimates but those Julia Tidwell's are recorded as younger than the birth year of the Julia, that's recorded in 1870 as daughter of Andrew and Evaline Tidwell, and the other question is who did she marry and divorce?
Jackson Tidwell and Martha Davis
Jackson A. Tidwell born (1871-1955) married Martha Davis (1873-1962) first on 22 Dec 1894 in Lanark, Bradley Arkansas. O. L. Tatum was the witness. Now who was O. L. Tatum? We will soon find out, in a later blog.
In 1900, Jackson Tidwell lived in Dry Run, Arkansas, he worked as a Farmer though he couldn't read or write he owned his own home, Martha was a housewife with three young children at home, she could read and write. Together they would have ten children:
- Lena Tidwell born 1896 death unknown
- Bonnie Tidwell 1898-1999 married Leonard McCullom and Lee Shelton
- Ocie Tidwell 1898-1997 married Johnnie Jones
- Hudson Tidwell 1900 death unknown
- James Tidwell born 2 Sep 1901 married Alice Ross
- Jane Tidwell 1902 death unknown
- Susan Tidwell 1903-1976 married George Jones
- Doris Tidwell 1908-1976 married Melvin H. Lyght
- Azor Tidwell 1915-1984 married Norris Dennis
- Ovie Tidwell (no further information)
James Edgar Tidwell married Annie Marks
The fifth child of Andrew and Evaline Tidwell listed as Edgar in the 1880 census of Clay Bradley, Arkansas was born in 1872 married an eighteen year old Annie Marks on 22 November 1894. By 1910 Edgar's occupation was Baptist Preacher and in1920 they lived on Henderson street in Fordyce Arkansas and Edgar was employed as a Clergyman for Zion Hill Baptist Church. Reverend J. E. Tidwell served as Pastor from 1937-1951. He and Annie Marks would have three possibly four children, as I have yet to confirm the relationship of one Carlton Tidwell:
- Nathaniel Tidwell born 1896 employed as laborer at the Arkansas Sawmill
- Willie Mae Tidwell born 1900 employed as a teacher for a private school in Arkansas, married Robert Riley died in Los Angeles, California in the 1950's.
- Andrew Jackson Tidwell born 1917 employed at the Arkansas Sawmill
These are the first five children out of ten of my great great grandfather Andrew Jackson Tidwell and Evaline possibly Faulkner. The Tidwell family were always a close knit family and lived in close proximity of each other as neighbors. Other families they lived close to were Bragg, Cox, Marks, and Tatum whom I will address in future blogs. In my next post I will also continue with the next five children of Andrew and Evaline as I continue chasing the Tale of the Tidwells.